Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Phishing With Chase As The Lure

This is a post I made back at the turn of the year, just prior to the Christmas holidays.

At the time, I had received several emails from… an organization that called itself Chase asking me to update my online credentials on their site.



Several smaller banks had propositioned me before. These were banks that I had never heard of. But they tried their scripted scams anyway and I knew they were a scam because I knew that I didn’t have accounts with any of these banks.

But Chase is a different matter. Almost everyone has an account, a credit card, or some type of dealings with Chase, one of the banks that are too big to fail. So when you get a message from an organization like this, your initial reaction is to pause and question it before writing it off.

As you’ll see from this post, the phishing filter in Internet Explorer 8 caught the scam. Phishing filters are one of the technologies implemented in newer browsers like IE8 and the new editions of Firefox and Google Chrome.

Give this post a read, make sure that you are using one of the newer browsers and turn on the phishing filter. You can find the details here at “Did You Get Phished By Chase?

Turn on your phishing filters and watch your six.

Good Selling!

No comments:

Post a Comment