Thursday, February 14, 2013

Reviving A Dead Thinkpad Laptop

Here’s follow up on my previous post dealing with an intermittent IBM Lenovo R52 laptop.

In that post, I outlined how I had possibly found a solution to my laptop’s unreliable operation.

Unplugging the laptop; pressing the power button 10 times at 1 second intervals; holding it down for 30 seconds… Seemed arcane, but it worked.

At least temporarily.


About a week later, I brought the laptop down to Columbus to do some work on the office router. Well, the machine failed to power up so I performed the ritualistic power-on dance. Only this time the machine failed to produce a image on the screen.

After several attempts and about 20 minutes, I finally gave up assuming the problem that plagued my machine was deeper than a static charge on the motherboard capacitors.

So for the past few weeks, I’ve been trying my hand at brining up the system using variations of the procedure outlined in my previous post, only with no success. Sometimes the machine came up; sometimes I simply gave up.

About 6 days ago, I was trying to bring the machine up again one more time when I accidentally hit the connection between the motherboard housing and the LCD screen. And the system powered right up.



Over the past 6 days, I made sure to tweak that connector when I powered on the system. I haven't had a problem yet.

I think it’s time to strip the machine down and reseat all of the connections, especially the electrical connections between the moving parts.

With a little luck, maybe I’ll get another 18 to 24 months out of this 7-year-old Windows XP system.

No comments:

Post a Comment