Friday, September 19, 2014

IBM ThinkPad R52 Gets Power But Won't Boot

In a previous post I outlined how my IBM ThinkPad R52 finally gave up the ghost. It would get power, the fans would spin, but it wouldn't get past the POST. There was no power on tests, no beep codes, no boot screens... nothing!


I had tried multiple techniques outlined  in posts from other ThinkPad owners with machines exhibiting similar symptoms.  But at the end of the day, or week, my machine would continue to exhibit the same unstable behavior. Sometimes, I would be able to get it to boot up. But 90% of the time, it would just sit there with powered fans and a blank screen.

However, I seemed to have stumbled upon a solution that appears to have resolved the issue.

While repairing another system, I found that I needed more memory. And there were 2 Gigabytes sitting in that little IBM ThinkPad, doing nothing but collecting dust. So I pulled one of the sticks to put in the new system.

Yes, the new system powered up just fine without a problem.

To my amazement, the ThinkPad powered up without a problem as well!

Figuring that maybe the memory just needed re-seating, I put the old memory stick back in. And along with the memory, the problem returned.

That's when I remembered the specs for IBM ThinkPad R52.

It can handle a maximum of 1.5 GB. That's a 1 GB stick in one slot and a 500 MB stick in the other slot. When I put that configuration in the ThinkPad, the system powered up without a problem at the press of the power button, and it has powered up without a hitch for the past 6 months.

So if you are experiencing intermittent start-ups in your old ThinkPad system, check the speed and capacity of your memory. Your system may not be able to handle the parts you placed into it.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with a system that can only handle 1.5GB of memory, runs only Windows XP and is 10 years old!




No comments:

Post a Comment